About Our Program
From Pilot to Borough-Wide Program
As part of our continuing efforts to make State College a more sustainable community, the Borough of State College has made significant changes to its refuse service. A food/organic waste collection pilot program was expanded to all Borough residential refuse customers and the Borough began to use an automated collection system.
Borough Council authorized changing the existing labor-intensive collection system to an automated system in order to expand the food/organic waste collection pilot program to all Borough residential refuse customers without increasing refuse fees. The collection of cans by this automated equipment takes about 12 seconds per stop compared to close to 45 seconds per stop with non-automated collection equipment. Automated collection is also a safer collection method, reducing the risk of injury to Borough employees from exposure to sharps and household hazardous waste, weightlifting injuries and vehicular collisions. As shown in the video at left, the truck has an automated arm that will reach out grasp each cart, lift the cart and dump it into the truck.
How Do I Get A Cart?
- All can-collected properties were issued a new refuse (trash) cart for landfill-bound materials
- Organics carts were also delivered unless the resident or property owner opted out.
- All program carts are the property of State College Borough.
- Carts have a 10-year warranty and damage due to normal use will be covered. Misuse or abuse that causes damage will be the responsibility of the resident.
- If you have moved into the area recently, please contact the Public Works Department for more information on how to obtain a cart.
How & When Do I Place My Cart for Collection?
- Carts should be 3’ from any obstruction, including trees, signs and other carts when presented for collection.
- At-door service requires a 3’ clear path from the cart to the street with no snow, brush, cars or other obstructions to impede the collector.
- Do not place materials on top of the cart for collection.
- Lids should be closed to keep pests and rainfall out and waste in the cart.
- Carts should be at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Holidays may delay your collection day. Please see Holiday Schedule for details
- Refuse, organics and red-bin recycling are all collected on the same day.
- If you have more material that will fit in your cart, place it at the curb on collection day beside the Borough-issued cart. All material except brush and loose leaves in leaf collection season should be in a container for collection.
Changes to the Collection Schedule
In order to improve the Borough's collection system, some residents' collection days changed with the start of the program on April 1, 2013. Refuse, recycling and organics are now collected on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Bulk items and brush (large amounts that do not fit in an organics cart) are now collected starting on Monday, by appointment, until all bulk items are collected.
To request, bulk pick up call (814) 234-7135 or submit a service request online.
If you are interested in receiving news and announcements add your email address to Notify Me. The State College Public Works Department uses this service to provide refuse account holders with updates on refuse collection and services.
Please contact us by phone at (814) 234-7135 or by email with any questions or comments.