Building or Adding to a Structure

How do I get a Permit to Build or Add to a Structure in the Borough?
  • Fill out an Application for Building Permit. This form can be obtained from the Planning Department located on the second floor of the State College Municipal Building or print out the online form.
  • The property owner will need to visit the Borough Engineer’s office in Room 221 of the State College Municipal Building to obtain a sewer permit and pay the required sewer-tapping fee.
  • The sewer permit, receipt for the sewer-tapping fee and the Application for Building Permit is then submitted to the Borough Planning Department for zoning approval. The application requires a plot plan showing property lines, the location of any driveways or curb cuts and building setbacks.
  • A drinking water permit, if required, should be obtained from the State College Borough Water Authority.
  • Bring the water, sewer and zoning permits, along with two copies of construction plans, to the Centre Region Code Administration office. Upon review of the plans and payment of the required building permit fee, a construction permit will be issued.
  • For information on fees, please review the Planning Department Fee Schedule


Important Contacts

State College Borough Water Authority
1201 West Branch Road 
State College, PA 16801
(814) 238-6766

State College Borough Engineer’s Office 
243 South Allen Street, Room 221 
State College, PA 16801 
(814) 234-7140
Contact Us
Centre Region Code Administration
2643 Gateway Drive
State College, PA 16801
(814) 231-3056

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No