Click to Home
Go To Search
Email Page
RSSPrint PageHome
How Do IGovernmentDepartmentsCommunity CentralOnline Services
Renter/Tenant Information
Printer-friendly Version

This page contains highlights of selected ordinances that affect occupants of rented property.

It is designed to provide a concise reminder and is not a complete documentation of the Borough Codes.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors are required where fossil or solid fuel is used as a source of heat. Questions regarding carbon monoxide detectors should be directed to the Centre Region Code Administration Office at (814) 234-3812.

Disorderly Conduct and Noise
The State College Police Department enforces laws regulating disorderly conduct and excessive noise. If noise is heard off of the property, it is too loud and must be turned down. Fines are levied for violations. Questions regarding these laws should be directed to the Police Department at (814) 234-7150.

More information can be found at

Dog Enforcement
All dogs are required to be licensed annually and rabies vaccine given every 3 years. Dogs off the owner’s property must be on a leash and are not permitted to run free. Owners of dogs are responsible for removing their dog’s feces on all public and private property as well as complying with the Borough’s barking ordinance. Fines can be issued for non-compliance.

Dog licenses may be obtained from the Centre County Treasurer's Office any time of the year and at the State College Municipal Building during the first quarter of the year.

Dog bites must be reported to the State College Health Department at (814) 234-7191 or the State College Police Department at (814) 234-7150 as soon as possible so that the animal can be quarantined for observation.

Fair Housing
he State College Fair Housing Ordinance guarantees fair housing practices. Protection is provided based on the following categories: race, color, religion, age (40 and above), ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, source of income, mental or physical handicap, presence of trained guide, support or service animals, pregnancy, birth of a child, marital status, familial status (individuals and families with children under 18 and pregnant women).

For more information, contact the Department of Planning and Community Development at (814) 234-7109 or contact us via email.

Fire Extinguishers
Every rental unit shall have a hand operated 2.5 pound type ABC portable fire extinguisher placed in the kitchen area of each dwelling unit. The extinguisher is to be inspected annually and shall be mounted in the kitchen area no higher than 5 feet from the floor to the top of the extinguisher and located away from the stove. In apartment buildings without sprinklers, as defined by the Building Code, a 5-pound type ABC fire extinguisher shall also be provided in corridors. Questions on fire extinguishers should be directed to the Code Administration Department at (814) 234-3812.

Fire Safety Certification
Tenants receive and sign a fire safety certification at the beginning of each lease period certifying the smoke, carbon monoxide and fire extinguishers are in working order. Thereafter, the tenant is responsible for maintenance of this equipment. Tenants may be fined for violation of the ordinance.

Overstuffed furniture is prohibited on porches. This means couches, recliners, and other furniture generally inside the home and not outside.

Lawn Parking

The parking of motor vehicles on lawn, landscaped areas, or outside authorized parking areas is expressly prohibited in all areas (including private property) of the Borough.  Questions regarding lawn parking violations should be directed to the Police Department at (814) 234-7150.

Maintenance Problems
If you have a maintenance/safety/health problem in your rental unit that the owner/manager refuses to correct, call the rental housing “hotline” at (814) 238-CODE (2633).

Occupancy of Rental Units
In one- and two-family rental units, occupancy regulations limit the number of unrelated persons to 3 per unit (there are some exceptions but these must be specifically designated as such by the Zoning Officer). Questions regarding occupancy in one- and two-family rental units should be directed to a Zoning Officer at (814) 234-7193 or (814) 234-7190.

Occupancy in all other rental units is based on the square footage of the unit. Questions regarding these units should be directed to the Centre Region Code Administration at (814) 234-3812.

Open Burning
Burning outdoors is permitted for recreational purposes but ONLY when using an approved container. Cord wood, 3 hour logs, and charcoal are the only acceptable materials which may be used for burning. Fires must be contained within the diameter of the container. Camp fires and bonfires are prohibited. Gas and charcoal grills can be used for outdoor cooking. Questions regarding open burning and permits should be directed to the State College Division of Health and Neighborhood Services at (814) 234-7191.

State law mandates that residents recycle selected materials. Failure to follow the required recycling procedures may result in fines. Questions regarding recycling should be directed to the Division of Health and Neighborhood Services at (814) 234-7191 or the Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority at (814) 238-7005.

Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority

Borough ordinance requires all household refuse to be stored in appropriate containers. The ordinance requires properties to be maintained free of accumulated refuse and provides for fines for those in violation. Party materials – cans, cups, bottles, etc. should be cleaned up immediately after a party.

Person(s) who accumulate refuse will be held responsible for its cleanup. When the person(s) are not known, then the property owner will be held responsible. Questions regarding the ordinance should be directed to the Division of Health and Neighborhood Services at (814) 234-7191. Questions about refuse collection should be directed to the Public Works Department at (814) 234-7135.

Additionally, all refuse carts must be removed from the curb following collection.

Rental Housing Permit Suspension
Permits are required to rent units in State College. These permits may be suspended when tenants or their guests cause a neighborhood nuisance by continually violating ordinances/laws. When the permit is suspended, the rental unit must be vacated and may not be occupied by anyone else during the suspension period. Questions regarding permit suspension should be directed to the State College Division of Health and Neighborhood Services by calling (814) 234-7191.

Roof Occupancy
Sunbathing, sitting, partying, or other activities on rooftops are strictly prohibited.

Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms are required to be installed and maintained in all sleeping rooms and adjacent to sleeping areas and on all floors, in all rental units. All alarms are to be interconnected so that an activation of one alarm will cause all alarms within the dwelling unit to activate. These are required to be inspected by the owner at the time of move-in. Questions regarding smoke detectors should be directed to the Centre Region Code Administration Office at (814) 234-3812.

Snow & Ice Removal
All snow and ice must be removed from the full length and width of sidewalks within 24 hours of the precipitation ceasing to fall. A fine is levied for the first violation; the second and each subsequent violation carry a higher fine. Questions regarding snow removal should be directed to the State College Division of Health and Neighborhood Services at (814) 234-7191.

Tenant Notification
State College Borough ordinance requires that the property owner/person-in-charge notify all tenants at least annually of Borough ordinance requirements and provide information on who to contact should there be an unresolved maintenance/safety/health problem in the unit. Questions regarding tenant notification should be directed to the State College Division of Health and Neighborhood Services at (814) 234-7191.

Ed LeClear
Planning Director
243 South Allen Street
State College, PA 16801
(814) 234-7191
(814) 234-7197
Contact us

Hours of Operation
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Excluding Holidays
View All